History of Lauda-Königshofen
Amalgamation of communes 1975
In the course of the Baden-Württemberg local government reform, the current town of Lauda-Königshofen was formed on Jan.1, 1975 from the two towns Lauda and Königshofen as well as ten additional communities.
The market town at the junction of the Tauber and Umpfer rivers has existed for over 1250 years and is thus by far the oldest municipal district. From the time of Saint Boniface, the Royal Church St. Martin in Königshofen (Tauber) is mentioned in 741/742 in a deed presented by the Frankish steward Karlmann. Read more
The town was seat of a noble lineage and in 1135 appears in a document presumably for the first time ("Adalbert von Ludun"). Lauda belonged to the lords of Luden up to the 13th century, and they also gave the settlement its name. From Luden there emerged Ludin, Luten, Lauden and finally Lauda in about 1500. In 1344 a town charter was conferred by Emperor Ludwig of Bavaria. After varied and eventful conditions of lordship, in 1506 Lauda became an administrative town of the Prince-Bishopric Würzburg and was responsible for about half of the current municipal area. In 1803, Lauda joined the Leiningen Principality, in 1806 the Great Duchy of Baden. Read more
The municipal subdivisions
Let us once again take a look at the remaining municipal subdivisions, which almost all (excluding Deubach) joined the Leiningen Principality in 1803, then the Great Duchy Baden in 1806, and since 1952 belong to the Federal State of Baden-Württemberg: Read more